Updated – June 9, 2021
Here at Fillmore Container, we are committed to being as environmentally responsible as possible. Over the years, we’ve tested and compared a variety of packing products and methods to see which provided the best balance of sustainability, performance and cost. While we’ve exclusively* chosen to use compostable peanuts for a long time, this year we’re taking it a step further!
We are now producing our own packing peanuts on-site!
What does this mean for you?
- Our sustainable packing peanuts are made of industrial-grade corn starch produced in the USA.
- The ones we use in our packaging haven’t been handled or hauled– so they’re as good & fresh as they can be!
- Pick-up customers can purchase bags of packing peanuts for their own use. Each bag is 14 cubic feet.
- They come with a landfill-free disposal option – will dissolve in water for easy disposal.
- Making packing peanuts in-house lowers our carbon footprint. Less energy spent in the hauling, handling and storage management.
- They are static-free – won’t stick to your packages or products.
- Biodegradable packing peanuts out-perform polystyrene loose fill packaging in crush tests, providing a more resilient cushioning product. Typical polystyrene-based foam packaging tends to migrate or snap within a box when pressed under the weight of a product.
Wondering what you can do with your extra peanuts?
- Unless your packing peanuts have gotten damp, they should be able to be used for cushioning again. Consider checking with a local retail business in your area – they may be thrilled to re-use your peanuts for their shipping.
- Put them in your compost pile. Because they are biodegradable in water, they will break down quickly in soil.
If you’d like to purchase bags of packing peanuts for your packing needs, you can! Currently, we can only supply to pick-up customers, but we hope to make them available to all after we are settled into our new facility.
If you’d like to purchase packing peanuts, visit the product page here. All you have to do is add them to your cart. Each bag is 14 cubic feet.
*Occasionally, we will use alternative packing materials which may include bubble wrap, foam wrap, kraft paper, other packing peanuts, or honeycomb wrap for small orders. These packing materials are being re-used – either we received them as samples, part of an inbound shipment or they were brought in by friends and family in their desire to minimize waste.